Anaesthetic Nurse / Operating Department Practitioner – Manchester – £34,000pa – Job Ref: DS4188
We are working on behalf of one of the UK’s largest cosmetic surgery groups, and currently have a rare and exciting opportunity for an Anaesthetic Nurse / Operating Department Practitioner to join their friendly & professional team of theatre staff at their prestigious Manchester hospital.
The Anaesthetic Nurse / ODP will be a member of the theatre team and work closely with the Anesthetist’s and theatre staff.
The overall objectives will be to:
- Promote and maintain a high standard of care to patient.
- All anaesthetic machinery, including monitors, ventilators and any other equipment to be checked to help the patient undergoing surgical and anaesthetic procedure.
- Ensure the Anaesthetist has checked the machine Prior start.
- To assist the Anaesthetist and support them with any knowledge of procedures being carried out such as intubation and maintaining the airway. As well as able to demonstrate accurate observation of the patient’s respiratory conditions.
- The post holder will have to ensure the correct controlled storage and administration of drugs and medication I accordance with Transform’s policies and procedures.
- The post holder must ensure that all records are kept in a legible, clear and accurate manner. All entries must be signed and dated according to home office requirements.
- Ensure that the patient’s identity is checked against their notes, the operation list and their wristband. Additionally there must be a verbal confirmation of the patient’s name.
- The environment must be safe at all times and the post holder must be compassionate towards the patient and their relatives.
- The post holder must undertake duties allocated and implemented by both the manager and the deputy manager.
The post holder will:
- Be responsible and accountable for the total care of the patient.
- Guide the patient safely to theatre and introduce them to the team
- Ensure that the patient is safely positioned on the operating table
- Apply the diathermy pad with awareness of the placing
- Ensure full support of the Achilles tendon and limbs
- Ensure that the patient is kept warm
- Ensure that the DVT flowtron is placed whenever necessary
- Fully support the Anaesthetist during surgery by demonstrating a knowledge of drugs and reactions to drugs during anesthesia
- Ensure that there is an adequate stock of supplies and medicines available for the safe running of the surgical list.
- Ensure the safe transfer of the patient to the Recovery Room at the end of surgery – this must be with the support of the Anaesthetist
- To hand over to the recovery nurse .and inform any extra medical instructions.
- When allocated to the recovery room/duties the ODP must follow the patient care guidelines
- When the ODP is allocated to the scrub room they must follow the guidelines set out by the department.
The successful applicant will be a Registered Nurse with a recognised Anaesthetic qualification, or a Registered Operating Department Practitioner.
This is a fantastic opportunity for either a Registered Nurse or ODP who is seeking a new challenge or an experienced Nurse / ODP who is familiar with the cosmetic industry and is looking to be a part of one of the UK’s leading and most respected cosmetic surgery providers.
All successful applicants for hospital posts will be required to apply for and produce a DBS Certificate of Disclosure at Enhanced Level.